How foolish I was to assume this would be a quick little read. I could not have been more wrong. I physically feel exhausted. How did Camus write this? The fall is as dense as they come, bitter, excruciating. Forces you to cogitate. The ideas are so repugnant and yet they keep gnawing inside your head. The words are like evil dark matter that establishes its authority right from the start and stays there dictating, vandalizing your property. I cannot believe I am giving this a 5 star rating. I don’t know, perhaps it’s a glimpse into a godless mind, a wretched heart drenched in hedonism, directionless and tired. It’s unfortunate that people have to go through such misery.Also, it shows mirror to all of us, aren’t we all hypocrites in one way or another? Writing this would have taken it’s toll on Camus, I am not ready to believe otherwise. The last few pages are going to stay with me, like headless serpents. I don’t know, I feel blessed to be a believer, and also I’m shaken by this “quick little read”.
My Rating: (5 / 5)
- People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves.
- Men are never convinced of your reasons, of your sincerity, of the seriousness of your sufferings, except by your death. So long as you are alive, your case is doubtful; you have a right only to their skepticism.
- Don’t lies eventually lead to the truth? And don’t all my stories, true or false, tend toward the same conclusion? Don’t they all have the same meaning? So what does it matter whether they are true or false if, in both cases, they are significant of what I have been and what I am? Sometimes it is easier to see clearly into the liar than into the man who tells the truth. Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.
- I love life – that’s my real weakness. I love it so much that I am incapable of imagining what is not life.
- A single sentence will suffice for modern man. He fornicated and read the papers. After that vigorous definition, the subject will be, if I may say so, exhausted.
- In order to cease being a doubtful case, one has to cease being, that’s all.
- But the truth cher ami, is a colossal bore!