What do I say about this O my brothers..Okay I won’t go into the nadsat mode, and also I have a confession to make. First time I opened this book was a year ago or something and I actually thought it was a corrupted epub! I thought alright let’s put this one on hold as I wasn’t really excited about it back then. When I got back to it a few days ago, I did a little research for a change and found out it was the language that the author uses, not a corrupted epub It takes a while to get the hang of, but once acquainted with the terms (the whole language actually, Anthony was a linguist and no wonder he made his newly created language so intuitive) and the idea, believe me it’s an incredible read! It’s disturbing, not just the violence but the whole premises itself. It makes you think, it makes you ponder. The story moves briskly and in the end you do feel for Alex.
PS: The movie is also brilliant but I personally thought the ending did not give the same feeling as the book does.
My Rating: (4 / 5)
- Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?
- We can destroy what we have written, but we cannot unwrite it.
- I see what is right and approve, but I do what is wrong.
- Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh. The trombones crunched redgold under my bed, and behind my gulliver the trumpets three-wise silverflamed, and there by the door the timps rolling through my guts and out again crunched like candy thunder. Oh, it was wonder of wonders. And then, a bird of like rarest spun heavenmetal, or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now, came the violin solo above all the other strings, and those strings were like a cage of silk round my bed. Then flute and oboe bored, like worms of like platinum, into the thick thick toffee gold and silver. I was in such bliss, my brothers.
- Where do I come into all of this? Am I just some animal or dog?’ And that started them off govoreeting real loud and throwing slovos at me. So I creeched louder still, creeching: ‘Am I just to be like a clockwork orange?
- Goodness comes from within… Goodness is something chosen. When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man.